- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Whispered gossip at Longchamp racecourse
- Artist: Léon-Antoine-Lucien Couturier
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 51.5 x 41.5 cm.
- Format (in): 20 3/8 x 16 ½ in.
- Last Sale price: 2 304,00
- Last Sale date:
Léon-Antoine-Lucien Couturier (FRENCH, 1842-1935) Whispered gossip at Longchamp racecourse indistinctly inscribed, signed and dated ‘au b.er Backer/Couturier/1899′ (lower right) watercolour and bodycolour on paper 20 3/8 x 16 ½ in. (51.5 x 41.5 cm.)
Léon Antoine Lucien Couturier moved from the École nationale des beaux-arts de Lyon to Paris to serve an apprenticeship in the studios of Alexandre Cabanel. He concentrated on depicting paintings of soldiers, navy officers and daily life in the forces. He also created more theatrical illustrations for contemporary novels. In the current lot, the artist captures a playful scene, where a dragoon in walking-out dress attracts attention from a gossiping high-society crowd visiting Longchamp racecourse.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A faithful friend
- A view of Wesel on the Lippe river with an artist sketching in the foreground
- Portuguese fishermen
- Bad weather in the Roman Campagna
- Loading barges on a French river