- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: View of the Rialto Bridge, Venice; and Procession in front of Santa Maria della Salute, Venice
- Artist: Vincenzo Chilone
- Format (cm): 58.8 x 78.6 cm.
- Format (in): the first, 23 5/8 x 31¼ in. (60 x 79.5 cm.); the second, 23¼ x 31 in.
- Last Sale price: 56 250,00
- Last Sale date:
Vincenzo Chilone (Venice 1758-1839) View of the Rialto Bridge, Venice; and Procession in front of Santa Maria della Salute, Venice the first oil on canvas, the second oil on canvas laid down on board the first, 23 5/8 x 31¼ in. (60 x 79.5 cm.); the second, 23¼ x 31 in. (58.8 x 78.6 cm.) a pair (2)
Imploring the Virgin’s intercession to end the plague that ravaged Venice in 1630, Doge Nicolò Contarini vowed to construct the church of Santa Maria della Salute and to commemorate the miracle with an annual procession. Seen here, the citizens of Venice march across a temporary bridge spanning the Grand Canal that has been constructed for this festival, which is traditionally celebrated on the 21st of November.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Letter writing
- Upper Cambridge Valley
- RISING EARLY IN SPRING TO LAMENT FLOWERS
- Mademoiselle Marcelle Lender, en buste
- A male nude ( recto ), A seated female nude ( verso )