Two designs for a book cover: A floral design representing the Passion of Christ; and The Madonna and Child
- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Two designs for a book cover: A floral design representing the Passion of Christ; and The Madonna and Child
- Artist: Carlos Schwabe
- Format (cm): 33.6 x 26.1 cm.
- Format (in): 13¼ x 10¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 13 750,00
- Last Sale date:
Carlos Schwabe (Altona 1866-1926 Avon, Seine-et-Marne) Two designs for a book cover: A floral design representing the Passion of Christ; and The Madonna and Child the second design signed and dated ‘CARLOS SCHWABE ‘ pencil, pen and black ink, bodycolor, watercolor, heightened with gold 13¼ x 10¼ in. (33.6 x 26.1 cm.) a pair (2)
A private European collection, from the early 1900s, and by descent; Anonymous sale; Christie’s, London, 25 November 1982, lot 153. Anonymous sale; Phillips, London, 10 September 1984, lot 236.
J.-D. Jumeau-Lafond, Carlos Schwabe: Symboliste et visionnaire , Paris, 1994, p. 100, illus.
According to Jumeau-Lafond these two drawings, designed along with a leather folio (now lost), were executed by Schwabe at the request of a patron who owned a series of Schwabe’s original watercolors for Catulle Mendès’s book L’Evangile de l’enfance de Notre Seigneur Jésus-Christ selon Saint Pierre (1894), and wished to find an appropriate form of protection and display for the series.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A society beauty in a hat
- Arab figures resting before a mountainous backdrop, Algeria
- The art lesson
- Sunset or sunrise over the south coast of England
- Arabs drinking coffee and smoking at the Temple of Isis, Philae