- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Virgin and Child by a fountain
- Artist: Circle of Sir Peter Paul Rubens
- Format (cm): 27.1 x 23.2 cm.
- Format (in): 10¾ x 9 1/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 4 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Circle of Sir Peter Paul Rubens (Siegen 1577-1640 Antwerp) The Virgin and Child by a fountain black chalk, pen and brown ink, brown and grey wash, heightened with white (partly oxidized) 10¾ x 9 1/8 in. (27.1 x 23.2 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 12 January 1995, lot 266, where acquired by the present owner.
PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NANCY COHN AND ALLAN KATZ
The composition derives from a print, Vierge à la Fontaine by Schelte Adamsz. Bolswert (1586-1659), an engraver who made a number of prints after works by Rubens and his contemporaries (see N. van Hout, Rubens et l’art de la gravure , Ghent, 2004, p. 65, no. 56). Bolswert’s engraving shows a detail from Rubens’ Holy Family with an angel offering fruits now in the Kunsthaus, Zurich (M. Jaffé, Rubens, Catalogo Completo , Milan, 1989, no. 1062, illus.). We thank David Jaffé for his kind help in cataloguing this lot.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A woman selling vegetables in a barn with a boy feeding chickens
- Moses and the Brazen Serpent
- A beauty undressing
- RED PEONIES AND BIRDS, PEONIES AND BUTTERFLIES