- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Penitent Magdalene
- Artist: Jan Tysiewicz
- Format (cm): 99.3 x 74.6 cm.
- Format (in): 39 1/8 x 29 3/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 47 500,00
- Last Sale date:
Jan Tysiewicz (1815-1891) The Penitent Magdalene signed and dated ‘J. Tysiewicz./1842.’ (lower center, on the table) oil on canvas 39 1/8 x 29 3/8 in. (99.3 x 74.6 cm.)
Private collection, New York.
Born in Marcybiliszeze, Poland in 1815, Tysiewicz studied in Vienna with Frederick von Amerling, court painter and sought-after portraitist of the Biedermeier period. Through him, Tysiewicz became acquainted with the work of Sir Thomas Lawrence and Horace Vernet, with whom his teacher had studied in London and Paris. In the present work, the smooth modeling evokes the works of Anne-Louis Girodet (1767-1824), while the luminous glow and pronounced tenebrism harkens back to the Magdalenes of the seventeenth-century master Georges de la Tour (1593-1653).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Portrait of Lady Arundell, three-quarter length
- Portrait of a gentleman in a lake landscape
- Portrait of a Lady
- Blue Brook (A Stream in Vermont)
- Portrait of Mrs. Thomas Bradshaw, née Elizabeth Wilson, half-length