- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Muses: Clio; Euterpe; Thalia; Melpomene; Terpsichore; Erato; Urania; Calliope; Polyhymnia
- Artist: Attibuted to Michelangelo Maestri
- Origins: Italian
- Format (cm): 45.2 x 35 cm.
- Format (in): 17¾ x 13¾ in.
- Last Sale price: 51 336,00
- Last Sale date:
Attibuted to Michelangelo Maestri (Italian, d. 1812) The Muses: Clio; Euterpe; Thalia; Melpomene; Terpsichore; Erato; Urania; Calliope; Polyhymnia gouache on paper 17¾ x 13¾ in. (45.2 x 35 cm.) measured to mount a set of nine (9)
Gianni Versace collection, from Villa Fontanelle in Moltrasio (Como) Sale: Porro & C., Cernobbio, Villa d’Este, 28 May 2005
PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF SANTO VERSACE
Companions of Apollo, daughters of Jupiter and Mnemosyne (Memory), these nine classical Muses are associated with inspiration and learning. Each of these Muses holds a sphere of influence over poetry, song and other arts. Standing atop a plinth like an animated statue each Muse is depicted interacting with their objects signifying poetry, astronomy and theatre.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- The Liberation of Saint Peter
- Boats and barges in the Thames Estuary
- Section Three, Around the World in 80 Feet, circa 1885
- A capriccio of classical ruins with The Borghese Gladiator , the Colosseum, The Dying Gaul , the Pyramid of Caius Cestius, The Arch of Constantine, the Column of Trajan, and the Arch of Titus
- Sorting the catch