- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Mirror of Time
- Artist: Jacob de Backer
- Format (cm): 41.3 x 29.5 cm.
- Format (in): 16¼ x 11 5/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 13 750,00
- Last Sale date:
Jacob de Backer (Antwerp circa 1555-circa 1585) The Mirror of Time oil on paper laid down on canvas 16¼ x 11 5/8 in. (41.3 x 29.5 cm.)
This lot is offered without reserve.
Leonard J. Slatkes, New York, until 2003 (+), from whom acquired by the present owner.
Warning against luxury and overindulgence, this alleogorical grisaille depicting the Mirror of Time relates to a larger, finished painting by De Backer recently on the art market (Sotheby’s, New York, 6 June 2012, lot 17), as well as to a print by Hieronymus Wierix published by Godevaard van Haecht (see E. Leuschner, ‘Defining De Backer,’ Gazette des Beaux-Arts 137, no. 1587, April 2001, fig. 25). As with De Backer’s Madonna and Child with Saint John in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (inv. 2002.88), the precise function of this grisaille in Backer’s working process is unknown. It may have served as a preparatory study, or it could be a record of a completed painting, or a finished work in its own right (see E. Leuschner, ‘A Grisaille Oil Sketch from the ‘De Backer Group’ and Workshop Practices in Sixteenth-Century Antwerp,’ Metropolitan Museum Journal 43, 2008, p. 101).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A felucca on the Nile; and another similar
- Blue Brook (A Stream in Vermont)
- Girl Sewing (The Chinese Robe)
- PINE TREE
- Study of a chair and drapery for ‘Mrs Peter Beckford’