- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Madonna and Child
- Artist: Ignaz Stern, called Stella
- Origins: Mauerkirchen
- Format (cm): 25.1 x 18.7 cm.
- Format (in): 9 7/8 x 7 3/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 15 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Ignaz Stern, called Stella (Mauerkirchen, Bavaria 1679-1748 Rome) The Madonna and Child oil on copper 9 7/8 x 7 3/8 in. (25.1 x 18.7 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 12 January 1996, lot 136 ($10,925), where acquired by the present owner.
Ignaz Stern trained under Carlo Cignani (1628-1719) in Forlì and worked in Rome and the Emilia-Romagna region, producing altarpieces and private devotional paintings primarily for monastic patrons. His tender pictures, like the present work, display a refined tonality that derives from Federico Barocci, and suggest the formative influences of Guido Reni, Correggio, and Parmigianino. The frame of the present lot is likely original.