- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Madonna and Child
- Artist: Ignaz Stern, called Stella
- Origins: Mauerkirchen
- Format (cm): 25.1 x 18.7 cm.
- Format (in): 9 7/8 x 7 3/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 15 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Ignaz Stern, called Stella (Mauerkirchen, Bavaria 1679-1748 Rome) The Madonna and Child oil on copper 9 7/8 x 7 3/8 in. (25.1 x 18.7 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 12 January 1996, lot 136 ($10,925), where acquired by the present owner.
Ignaz Stern trained under Carlo Cignani (1628-1719) in Forlì and worked in Rome and the Emilia-Romagna region, producing altarpieces and private devotional paintings primarily for monastic patrons. His tender pictures, like the present work, display a refined tonality that derives from Federico Barocci, and suggest the formative influences of Guido Reni, Correggio, and Parmigianino. The frame of the present lot is likely original.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Breaking waves on the shore; and Fishing boats moored near the Capri shore
- Woman Walking
- Portrait of a Renée Lambert de Rothschild, daughter of the founder of the Lambert bank
- Moses and the Brazen Serpent
- The resting woodcutter