- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The cosy corner
- Artist: Bernard De Hoog
- Origins: Dutch
- Format (cm): 49.5 x 39.7 cm.
- Format (in): 19½ x 15 5/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 2 769,00
- Last Sale date:
Bernard De Hoog (Dutch, 1866-1943) The cosy corner signed ‘Bernard de Hoog’ (lower left) oil on canvas 19½ x 15 5/8 in. (49.5 x 39.7 cm.)
Artist’s Resale Right (“Droit de Suite”). Artist’s Resale Right Regulations 2006 apply to this lot, the buyer agrees to pay us an amount equal to the resale royalty provided for in those Regulations, and we undertake to the buyer to pay such amount to the artist’s collection agent.
Bernard De Hoog painted some of the most endearing images of interior scenes depicting life at the end of the 18th and early 19th centuries. These scenes of country life advocate simplicity and evoke a happy atmosphere in which children are a central element. De Hoog, a prominent member of the Hague School, is among the most distinguished exponents of Dutch modernism. His works were often exported to the US, Canada, and England. As exemplified by the present lot, the artist turns away from more academic themes in favour of realistic depictions of his immediate surroundings. De Hoog’s handling of light and atmospheric effects recall the great tradition of 17th century Dutch landscape.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Studies of the heads of putti
- The end of the market, Sologne
- A trompe l’oeil of a hanging pheasant; and A trompe l’oeil of a hanging black grouse
- Four views of the châteaux of Rambouillet, Anet and Sceaux inset in a pair of frames with tinted and gilded plaster bas-reliefs of trophies symbolizing music and painting
- The runaway carriage