- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: The Annunciation
- Artist: Francesco de Mura
- Format (cm): 60.3 x 51.4 cm.
- Format (in): 23¾ x 20¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 15 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Francesco de Mura (Naples 1696-1782) The Annunciation oil on canvas 23¾ x 20¼ in. (60.3 x 51.4 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Bonhams, London, 9 December 1993, lot 94, as ‘Follower of Solimena’, where acquired by the present owner.
Francesco de Mura was a student of the great Neapolitan painter Francesco Solimena (1657-1747). He executed decorations of the Royal Palace in Naples for Carlo di Borbone (1716-1788), King of the Two Sicilies, and also worked in Turin for Charles Emmanuel III (1701-1773), Duke of Savoy and King of Sardinia. The present painting is a bozzetto for a fresco in the Certosa di San Martino in Naples, completed in 1757 (see A Taste for Angels: Neapolitan Painting in North America, 1650-1750 , exhibition catalogue, New Haven, Sarasota, and Kansas City, 1988, p. 267, fig. 118). Along with the Annunciation , De Mura frescoed an Assumption and a Visitation for the chapel dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin in that church. An Annunciation painted in Naples in 1712 by Paolo de Matteis (1662-1728) for Aurora Sanseverino (1669-1730), Duchess of Laurenzano, may have provided inspiration for De Mura’s work.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- An Overmantel Picture
- An Ulan on horseback on the Falenty dyke
- The Liberation of Saint Peter
- A capriccio view of an Italian piazza with a royal procession
- Dappled sunlight in the garden