- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Strephon and Phyllis
- Artist: Richard Westall, R.A.
- Format (cm): 52.8 x 43.8 cm.
- Format (in): 20¾ x 17¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 35 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Richard Westall, R.A. (Hertford 1765-1836 London) Strephon and Phyllis signed with initials and dated ‘RW/1794′ (lower left) pencil and watercolor with gum arabic heightened with touches of white, within the artist’s framelines, unframed 20¾ x 17¼ in. (52.8 x 43.8 cm.)
J. Pierpont Morgan; Christie’s, London, 31 March 1944, lot 110 (110 gns to Agnew) Ray Livingston Murphy, New York; Christie’s, London, 11 November 1985, lot 115.
C. Knight, 1799.
The engraving of this watercolor was illustrated in C. Beharrell’s article ‘Angling and the Artist’, which was featured in Country Life Magazine (25 July 1985, p. 208, fig. 3): ‘The rods are huge roach poles, and the method of carrying the catch – the creel with shoulder-strap being the usual form’.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A gondola ride on the Venetian lagoon
- Susanna and the Elders; and Lot and his Daughters
- Daffodils and other flowers in a hamper
- A seated peasant woman ( recto ); A fragmentary study of the lower half of a seated woman ( verso )
- A winter landscape with figures skating and a man falling on a frozen waterway