- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Saint Jerome
- Artist: Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, il Guercino
- Format (cm): 19.4 x 25.4 cm.
- Format (in): 7½ x 10 in.
- Last Sale price: 68 500,00
- Last Sale date:
Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, il Guercino (Cento 1591-1666 Bologna) Saint Jerome with inscription ‘Guercino’ red chalk 7½ x 10 in. (19.4 x 25.4 cm.)
John Skippe (his mount), with his numbering ‘A/Z.135′, though not traceable in the 1958 sale at Christie’s London. Anonymous sale; Sotheby’s, London, 15 June 1983, lot 60. Anonymous sale; Sotheby’s, New York, 26 January 2000, lot 19, where acquired by the present owner.
THE PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN
Nicholas Turner suggested at the time of the sale in 2000 that this finely-detailed red-chalk drawing should be dated to the late 1630s or early 1640s, at which time Guercino executed a number of half-length pictures of Saint Jerome, according to entries in his Libro dei Conti . The saint’s twisting pose and the powerful treatment of the musculature of his arm are similar to a drawing at the University of Iowa Museum of Art, which was identified by David Stone as a study of Saint Jerome and the Angel , and dated on the basis of its style to circa 1641 (inv. 1968.67; Guercino: Master Draftsman , exhib. cat., Harvard, University Art Museums, and elsewhere, 1991, no. 45).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Poppies, tulips and roses in a vase by strawberries and grapes on a wooden shelf
- Saint Jerome in his study
- Portrait of Samuel Babb, Aged 51 Years
- Sorting the catch
- Untitled (Chest-of-Drawers Construction)