- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of Robert Ainslie
- Artist: Rembrandt Peale
- Format (cm):
- Format (in): 24 x 20 in.
- Last Sale price: 6 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Rembrandt Peale (1778-1860) Portrait of Robert Ainslie oil on canvas 24 x 20 in.
Ann E. Hasbrook, granddaughter of sitter The Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York, 1909 Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, New York, 1982
PROPERTY FROM CREDIT SUISSE’S AMERICANA COLLECTION
[Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York], Catalogue of Portraits in the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York (New York, 1924), p. 63, no. 203.
Robert Ainslie (1777-1851) has been recorded as a ship chandler and dealer of naval stores who was born in Scotland and arrived in New York via Baltimore around 1822, when he entered the insurance business and became President of the North American Fire Insurance Company. He was married to Ann Elizabeth (1804-1861). According to the 1850 US Federal Census, he was the head of a household of ten people, one of whom was Ann E. Hasbrook, born circa 1840, his granddaughter who gifted the portrait to the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York in 1909 (Year: 1850 ; Census Place: New York Ward 5, New York, New York ; Roll: M432_537 ; Page: 61B ; Image: 128 ).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Studies of grotesques ( recto ), studies of two winged horses ( verso )
- Along the Shore, Fire Island, New York
- Portrait of Abraham Lincoln, 1906
- Poppies, tulips and roses in a vase by strawberries and grapes on a wooden shelf
- A Norwegian fjord