- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of M. Clochez, an engraver
- Artist: Eugène Carrière
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 41 x 32.5 cm.
- Format (in): 16 x 12 7/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 3 456,00
- Last Sale date:
Eugène Carrière (FRENCH, 1849-1906) Portrait of M. Clochez, an engraver signed and dated ‘EUGÈNE CARRIÈRE 1886′ (upper left) oil on panel 16 x 12 7/8 in. (41 x 32.5 cm.)
with Mr. Clochez. Anonymous sale; Vente Maurice Rheims, Paris, 7 March 1956, lot 154.
Paris, Eugene Carrière et le Symbolisme Direction des Musées Nationaux, December 1949- January 1950, no. 33..
In 1868 Carrière was employed by the lithographer Moreau. Whilst he was there he met M. Clochez, an industrial engraver. M. Clochez asked Carrière to design him a vignette for various invoices and programmes. These designs, created by Carrière, were engraved by Clochez between 1883 and 1888. The current lot was painted in the middle of this six year working relationship, in 1886, possibly as a gift for the sitter.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Monkeys playing games, eating and dancing in an interior
- Venus reclining with putti
- Whispered gossip at Longchamp racecourse
- Portrait of a gentleman, traditionally identified as a self-portrait of the artist, bust-length