- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of King William IV, three-quarter length, wearing the robes of the Garter
- Artist: Sir David Wilkie, R.A.
- Format (cm): 132.4 x 107 cm.
- Format (in): 52 1/8 x 42 1/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 106 250,00
- Last Sale date:
Sir David Wilkie, R.A. (Fife 1785-1841 Malta) Portrait of King William IV, three-quarter length, wearing the robes of the Garter oil on canvas 52 1/8 x 42 1/8 in. (132.4 x 107 cm.)
(Possibly) Sir David Wilkie; (+), Christie’s, London, 25 April 1842, lot 656 (58.16 gns. to Graves). with Sulley, London. with Blakeslee Galleries, New York; American Art Galleries, New York, 22 April 1915, lot 226 ($650 to W. Seaman). with Robert C. Vose, Boston, by 1921-1923. Arthur J. Secor, by whom gifted in 1923 to the Toledo Museum of Art.
PROPERTY OF THE TOLEDO MUSEUM OF ART, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE ACQUISITIONS FUND
Buffalo Academy of Fine Arts, Academy Notes , XVI, July-December 1921, pp. 53-55. Toledo Museum of Art Museum News , no. 56, April 1930, p. 27, repr. p. 1. Connoisseur , XCI, March 1933, p. 181, repr. B.M. Godwin, Catalogue of European Paintings , Toledo, 1939, pp. 314-315. H. Vollmer, in H. Thieme and F. Becker, Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Künstler , Leipzig, 1947, XXXVI, p. 4. O. Millar, The Later Georgian Pictures in the Collection of Her Majesty the Queen , London, 1969, under no. 1185. The Toledo Museum of Art, European Paintings , Toledo, 1976, pp. 167-168, pl. 330.
Buffalo, Albright Art Gallery, Catalogue of a Collection of Paintings lent by Messrs. R.C. and N.M. Vose of Boston, Mass. , 8-31 January 1921, no. 52. Boston, Vose Gallery, Selected Portraits and Ideal Figure Pictures , 2-14 January 1922, no. 3. The Toledo Museum of Art, Portraits and Portraiture Throughout the Ages , 3-31 October 1937, no. 33.
This is a version of the full-length portrait of William IV painted by Wilkie in 1832 for the Waterloo Chamber of Windsor Castle (RCIN 404931). It was likely painted in 1833, when Wilkie painted two copies of the original and may have been the version in the posession of the artist at his death.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Elegant figures at a reception in a ballroom ( recto ); Preparatory study for the left-hand side of the composition ( verso )
- Roman Aqueducts, St. Peter’s Basilica beyond
- West Branch of the Delaware River
- The christening
- Interior of a Baroque Church with a friar and peasants