- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of a girl, bust-length, in a black dress and pearl necklace
- Artist: Jan de Bray
- Format (cm): 54.9 x 44.5 cm.
- Format (in): 21 5/8 x 17½ in.
- Last Sale price: 68 500,00
- Last Sale date:
Jan de Bray (Haarlem circa 1627-1697) Portrait of a girl, bust-length, in a black dress and pearl necklace oil on panel 21 5/8 x 17½ in. (54.9 x 44.5 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Woolley & Wallis, Salisbury, 7 April 2004, lot 300. with David Koetser, Zurich. Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 28 January 2009, lot 255, ($56,250), where acquired by the present owner.
PROPERTY FROM A DISTINGUISHED PRIVATE COLLECTION
London, Brian L. Koetser Gallery, Exhibition of Paintings by Old Masters , 11 October-December 1971, no. 2.
Son of the painter Salomon de Bray, Jan spent virtually his entire career in Haarlem. After training with his father, he established himself as a portrait painter in 1650, a profession he continued for the following forty years. In addition to formal portraiture, De Bray also painted scenes of his family and friends in the guise of figures from history. This work reveals De Bray’s ability to employ smooth brushwork and subtle gradations of light and shade to create an idealised image of a young girl. Her small smile and direct gaze exude the naturalness that was typical of De Bray’s innovative portraiture. We would like to thank Dr. Peter Biesboer for confirming the attribution to de Bray from photographs (written communication, 22 October 2008).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- An angel violinist appearing to Saint Francis of Assisi
- TAO YUANMING RECLINING AGAINST A ROCK
- Saint Jerome in his study
- The Colosseum seen from the Farnese Garden
- Arabs on the rooftops of Tangier, the Strait of Gibraltar beyond; and Arabs selling goods at the walls of Tangier