- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of a gentleman in a lake landscape
- Artist: François-Xavier Fabre
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 64.8 x 54 cm.
- Format (in): 25½ x 21¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 23 730,00
- Last Sale date:
François-Xavier Fabre (FRENCH, 1766-1837) Portrait of a gentleman in a lake landscape oil on canvas, oval 25½ x 21¼ in. (64.8 x 54 cm.)
Sotheby’s New York; Tuesday, February 09, 1999, lot 4.
It has been suggested that this figure may be Napoléon, 2nd Duke of Montebello, although we have not been able to confirm this. Fabre was tutored by Jacques-Louis David, and won the French Academy’s Rome Prize in 1787. He spent most of his life in Italy, first in Rome and from 1793, in Florence. Fabre is best known for painting portraits, patronised by the British on the Grand Tour, but he also continued to paint history pictures and landscapes.