- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Portrait of a bearded man
- Artist: Corneille de la Haye, called Corneille de Lyon
- Format (cm): 17.1 x 13.7 cm.
- Format (in): 6¾ x 5 3/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 56 250,00
- Last Sale date:
Corneille de la Haye, called Corneille de Lyon (The Hague 1500/10-1575 Lyon) Portrait of a bearded man oil on panel 6¾ x 5 3/8 in. (17.1 x 13.7 cm.)
Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 26 January 2005, lot 284. with Galerie de Jonckheere, Paris, from whom acquired in 2007 by Jean Deleage.
PROPERTY FROM THE ESTATE OF JEAN DELEAGE
Although the identity of the sitter has been lost, his genteel beard, fashionable velvet hat, and fine black coat with slashed sleeves indicate he was a member of the French court. After the Clouet family, Corneille de Lyon was the leading portraitist in mid-16th century France, and this painting is a typical example of his style. The non-descript, green background places all of the emphasis on the sitter himself, who looks out to meet the viewer’s gaze.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Quiet contemplation
- Monkeys playing games, eating and dancing in an interior
- Woman Walking
- Venus at the Forge of Vulcan ( recto and verso )
- Portrait of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1903