- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Moses and the Brazen Serpent
- Artist: Joseph Cellony le Jeune
- Format (cm): 25.2 x 40.5 cm.
- Format (in): 9 7/8 x 15 7/8 in.
- Last Sale price: 3 250,00
- Last Sale date:
Joseph Cellony le Jeune (Aix-en-Provence 1730-1786) Moses and the Brazen Serpent pen and black ink, grey wash, with a collage correction to the head of a figure, watermark proprietary 9 7/8 x 15 7/8 in. (25.2 x 40.5 cm.)
With Charles E. Slatkin Galleries, New York (as Gaspare Diziani).
A pupil of Michel-François Dandré-Bardon, Cellony was mainly active in Marseille and was a member of the city’s Academy of painting. A drawing of the same composition, but with differences, is in the Horvitz collection ( Mastery & Elegance. Two Centuries of French Drawings from the Collection of Jeffrey E. Horvitz , exhib. cat. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Art Museums, and elsewhere, 1999-2000, p. 413, no. A.62, illus.).