- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Mercury presenting thunderbolts to Jupiter
- Artist: Giovanni Battista Langetti
- Format (cm): 101.2 x 134.6 cm.
- Format (in): 39 7/8 x 53 in.
- Last Sale price: 60 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Giovanni Battista Langetti (Genoa 1635-1676 Venice) Mercury presenting thunderbolts to Jupiter oil on canvas 39 7/8 x 53 in. (101.2 x 134.6 cm.)
Francesco Querini, Venice, by 1708. Anonymous sale; Sotheby’s, New York, 26 January 2007, lot 315 ($66,000).
PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE MASSACHUSETTS COLLECTOR
C.A. Levi, Le collezioni veneziane d’arte e d’antichità dal secolo XIV ai nostri giorni , Venice, 1900, p. 152. M.S. Mantovanelli, ‘Giovanni Battista Langetti’, Saggi e Memorie di Storia dell’Arte , XVII, 1990, p. 83.
New York, Robert Simon Fine Art, From Palace to Chapel, Important Old Master paintings , 2005.
Although Langetti moved to Rome at an early age to study with Pietro da Cortona, he was most influenced by the art he encountered later in Naples, probably in the mid-1650s. There, he studied the work of Ribera, Francesco Fracanzano, and Luca Giordano, all of whom influenced his dramatic compositions, vigorous brushwork, and strong chiaroscuro.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Dappled sunlight in the garden
- Untitled (No. 23), circa 1920
- Angels making music, after Francesco Solimena
- Fishing vessels before Capri
- An offering on the Venetian lagoon