- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: LOTUS
- Artist: ZHANG DAQIAN
- Format (cm): 65.7 x 135 cm.
- Format (in): 25 ¾ x 53 ¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 125 000,00
- Last Sale date:
ZHANG DAQIAN (1899-1983) LOTUS Scroll, mounted and framed, ink on paper Inscribed and signed, with two seals of the artist Dated first day of the first month, renzi year (1972) 25 ¾ x 53 ¼ in. (65.7 x 135 cm.)
Painted for Professor Aileen Wei by the artist, 1972, New Jersey.
FROM THE FAMILY OF PROFESSOR AILEEN WEI
Professor Aileen Wei (born Huang Anli, 1912-1995) was born in Beijing and had a successful career as an educator, diplomat, and translator. She received a B.A. from Yenching University in 1932 and at the outset of her career served as a diplomatic official in London. After emigrating to the United States, she earned an M.A. from the University of Chicago in 1943. She worked at Yale University as a language instructor and then went on to co-found the Chinese Language Program at Seton Hall University in 1959, where she remained until 1978. Professor Wei also served as language consultant for the U.S. Army and State Department. In 1972 she and Professor Wang Fangyu (Fred Wang, 1913-1997) hosted a visit and art demonstration at Seton Hall by artist Zhang Daqian, who painted this for her at the time.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- PLUM BLOSSOMS, BIRDS ON BLOSSOMING BRANCHES
- Baskerville Rock
- An allegorical scene outside a temple façade
- A fisherman tending to his nets on the Bay of Naples, Vesuvius beyond; and Boats on the shore, Capri beyond
- A fox stalking a brace of partridges; and A dog pointing a partridge