- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: HISTORICAL COURT SCENES
- Artist: ANONYMOUS
- Format (cm): 44.5 x 44.3 cm.
- Format (in): Each measures 17 ½ x 17 ½ in.
- Last Sale price: 5 625,00
- Last Sale date:
ANONYMOUS (QING DYNASTY) HISTORICAL COURT SCENES A set of two scrolls, mounted on board, ink and color on paper Inscribed in Chinese and Manchurian Each measures 17 ½ x 17 ½ in. (44.5 x 44.3 cm.)
According to the inscription in Chinese and Manchurian in the upper right of the painting, it illustrates the story of the military general Sima Shi’s overthrow of Emperor of Wei’s Cao Fang’s government in 248 A.D. After an unsuccessful attempt to gain revenge, the Emperor was forced to leave court and turn over power to the Empress Dowager. In the painting, Sima Shi is represented in green, the Emperor in white, and the Empress sitting on the throne receiving the imperial seal. The other work illustrates the story of Sun Quan and Sun Liang, two emperors of Eastern Wu, when Sun Quan fell severely ill after a storm hit and caused a tree to topple in 252 A.D. Aware of his imminent death, Sun Quan immediately proclaimed his son Sun Liang as his successor. On the left side of the painting is the uprooted tree, with the sick Sun Quan in the upper corner; Sun Liang is portrayed sitting on the throne surrounded by his senior ministers.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Six Miniature Portrait Profiles, Comprising Van Buren Da Lee, Reverend Luther Lee, Lemuel Crane and Three Ladies
- Head of a man with growths on his neck, in profile to the left
- Skaters on a frozen waterway; and Boats on a waterway in a Northern European Town
- Sacra conversazione
- The newlyweds