- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Figures on the quay before the entrance to the Grand Canal
- Artist: Alexandre-Thomas Francia
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 75 x 123 cm.
- Format (in): 29½ x 48¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 11 865,00
- Last Sale date:
Alexandre-Thomas Francia (French, 1813-1884) Figures on the quay before the entrance to the Grand Canal signed ‘AFrancia’ (lower right) oil on canvas laid down on board 29½ x 48¼ in. (75 x 123 cm.)
The son of François-Louis-Thomas Francia, Alexandre was a recognized painter and watercolourist, specializing in marine subjects. Travelling widely in his career, he exhibited at the Paris Salon of 1835, then in London and Vienna (where he was medallist at the exhibition of 1873). He settled in Belgium, and was made a Knight of the Order of Leopold. The Museum of Calais houses a number of his works as does the Museum of Koenigsberg and the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Brussels.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- An architectural capriccio with figures among classical ruins, broken columns and pediments
- The belly dancer
- An Italianate landscape with peasants outside a barn
- The Blue Hills
- Portrait de femme