Design for a fountain of Neptune in his chariot drawn by four hippocamps, flanked by nymphs and putti
- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Design for a fountain of Neptune in his chariot drawn by four hippocamps, flanked by nymphs and putti
- Artist: Francesco Salvator Fontebasso
- Format (cm): 27.2 x 26.6 cm.
- Format (in): 10¾ x 10½ in.
- Last Sale price: 40 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Francesco Salvator Fontebasso (Venice 1707-1769) Design for a fountain of Neptune in his chariot drawn by four hippocamps, flanked by nymphs and putti black and red chalk, pen and brown ink, brown wash, watermark bow and arrow 10¾ x 10½ in. (27.2 x 26.6 cm.)
with Colnaghi, London. with Charles E. Slatkin Galleries, New York.
J. Byam Shaw, ‘The drawings of Francesco Fontebasso’, Arte Veneta , 1954, p. 324, fig. 322.
Wellesley, MA, Wellesley College, Jewett Art Center, and New York, Charles E. Slatkin Galleries, Eighteenth century Italian drawings , no. 18 (frontispiece). Vancouver, Vancouver Art Gallery, 18th century Venetian art in Canadian collections , 1989, no. 61.
Byam Shaw was the first to publish this drawing which he considered to be an example of Tiepolo’s influence on Fontebasso’s use of pen and wash with minimal hatching.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Roses, tulips, daffodills, ranunculus and other flowers, in a celadon vase, on a table
- A gentleman and a maidservant in an interior of a library, possibly Austrian
- On the Bosphorus, Istanbul
- La Place Pigalle, Paris
- Droving horses in the Roman Campagna