- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: Ariadne
- Artist: Sir Joshua Reynolds, P.R.A.
- Origins: Plympton
- Format (cm): 76.2 x 63.5 cm.
- Format (in): 30 x 25 in.
- Last Sale price: 80 500,00
- Last Sale date:
Sir Joshua Reynolds, P.R.A. (Plympton, Devon 1723-1792 London) Ariadne oil on canvas 30 x 25 in. (76.2 x 63.5 cm.)
Bought from Reynolds in 1781 by William Lock. William Smith, by 1813. Alexander Baring, by 1833. Lord Ashburton, by 1847; Christie’s, 18 July 1924, lot 89 (140 gns. to Agnew). with Agnews, London, from whom acquired on 16 February 1925 by Robert C. Vose. with Vose Gallery, Boston. Mrs. Edwin S. Webster, Boston in 1939, and by descent to the present owner.
Art Union , 1847, p. 124. E. Hamilton, A Catalogue Raisonné of the Engraved Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds, P.R.A. from 1755 to 1822 , new ed., enlarged, London, 1884, p. 141. A. Graves and W.V. Cronin, A History of the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds , London, 1899-1901, III, pp. 1131-1132, 1174; IV, p. 1451, 1480 YY. W. Armstrong, Sir Joshua Reynolds , London, 1900, p. 238. A.L. Baldry, Sir Joshua Reynolds , London, 1903, p. xiii. M. Cormack, ‘The Ledgers of Sir Joshua Reynolds’, The Walpole Society , XLII, 1970, p. 158. D. Mannings, Sir Joshua Reynolds: A Complete Catalogue of his Paintings , New Haven and London, 2000, I, p. 583, fig. 1578; II, p. 509, no. 2011.
London, British Institution, Pictures by the late Sir Joshua Reynolds , 1813, no. 51. London, British Institution, 1833, no. 38.
W. Doughty, 7 December 1779. W. Sharp (lithograph). S.W. Reynolds. Ward (with the inscription ‘Madame Ricardi Circasienne’, as by Lampi).
Reynolds painted a number of so-called ‘subject pictures’, in which he depicted his sitters in the guise of heroes and heroines from literature and mythology. The present sitter, once erroneously identified as Miss Elizabeth Ingram, is portrayed as Ariadne, a beautiful heroine of Greek mythology who is best known for helping Theseus overcome the Minotaur in Crete.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- View of Lake Geneva with the glaciers of Mont Blanc beyond
- The Assumption of the Virgin, after Luca Giordano, and two figures, after Antonio Vassilacchi, l’Aliense
- The flower seller on the Spanish Steps, Rome, with Trinità dei Monti beyond
- The Schooner Charles Carroll On the Piscataqua from the North End of Noble’s Bridge, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, 1875
- A lakeside town in North Italy