- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: A surprise for the inhabitants of the Rialto, Venice
- Artist: Nicolas Félix Escalier
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 56 x 100 cm.
- Format (in): 22 x 39¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 30 720,00
- Last Sale date:
Nicolas Félix Escalier (French, 1843-1920) A surprise for the inhabitants of the Rialto, Venice signed and dated ‘N. Escalier 1881′ (lower right) oil on canvas 22 x 39¼ in. (56 x 100 cm.)
with Goupil & Cie, Paris. Anonymous sale; Sotheby’s, London, 07 October 1987, lot no.182.
Paris, Salon of 1881, no.849.
Nicolas-Félix Escalier was an accomplished painter of portraiture, genre scenes and architecture. This painting includes all three genres of painting. The lively expressions of the jovial children preparing to leap into the canal creates a stark contrast with the serene journey of the boatmen. This scene plays out before Escalier’s detailed depiction of the Rialto Bridge, standing proudly over the Grand Canal.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- A capriccio of classical ruins with The Borghese Gladiator , the Colosseum, The Dying Gaul , the Pyramid of Caius Cestius, The Arch of Constantine, the Column of Trajan, and the Arch of Titus
- The zither player’s serenade
- The Café de la Paix, Boulevard des Capucines, Paris, 1900
- A portrait of a gentleman, bust-length
- The Departure of the Prodigal Son