- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: A surprise for the inhabitants of the Rialto, Venice
- Artist: Nicolas Félix Escalier
- Origins: French
- Format (cm): 56 x 100 cm.
- Format (in): 22 x 39¼ in.
- Last Sale price: 30 720,00
- Last Sale date:
Nicolas Félix Escalier (French, 1843-1920) A surprise for the inhabitants of the Rialto, Venice signed and dated ‘N. Escalier 1881′ (lower right) oil on canvas 22 x 39¼ in. (56 x 100 cm.)
with Goupil & Cie, Paris. Anonymous sale; Sotheby’s, London, 07 October 1987, lot no.182.
Paris, Salon of 1881, no.849.
Nicolas-Félix Escalier was an accomplished painter of portraiture, genre scenes and architecture. This painting includes all three genres of painting. The lively expressions of the jovial children preparing to leap into the canal creates a stark contrast with the serene journey of the boatmen. This scene plays out before Escalier’s detailed depiction of the Rialto Bridge, standing proudly over the Grand Canal.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Six Miniature Portrait Profiles, Comprising Van Buren Da Lee, Reverend Luther Lee, Lemuel Crane and Three Ladies
- Saint Jerome in his study
- Drawing in the nets before Capri
- A country stroll
- “At Daybreak, Mistress, in Execution of the Sentence Passed Upon Him Yesterday in the Governor’s Court”