- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: A girl knitting
- Artist: Attributed to André Bouys
- Format (cm): 92.1 x 72.4 cm.
- Format (in): 36½ x 28½ in.
- Last Sale price: 5 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Attributed to André Bouys (Hyères 1656-1740 Paris) A girl knitting oil on canvas 36½ x 28½ in. (92.1 x 72.4 cm.)
Mr. and Mrs. Isaac D. Fletcher, New York, as Nicolas Bernard Lépicié, by whom bequeathed in 1917 to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
PROPERTY FROM THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE EUROPEAN PAINTINGS ACQUISITIONS FUND
M. Davenport, The Book of Costume , New York, 1948, II, pp. 691-692, no. 1870, as Nicolas Bernard Lépicié. C. Sterling, ‘XV-XVIII Centuries,’ The Metropolitan Museum of Art: A Catalogue of French Paintings , Cambridge, MA, 1955, I, pp. 129-130, as a follower of Chardin, close to Françoise Duparc.
Milwaukee, Milwaukee Auditorium and Austin, City Coliseum, Metropolitan Museum $1,000,000 Collection of Old Masters , 7-14 March 1953, p. 23, as Chardin. Columbus, Columbus Museum of Fine Arts and Crafts, A Centenary of a Great Museum: Old Master Paintings , 1 November 1969-31 October 1970.
A pair of pictures attributed to Bouys by Michel and Fabrice Faré ( La vie silencieuse en France: la nature morte au XVIIIe siècle , Fribourg, 1976, p. 45, figs. 51 and 52, each 73 x 81 cm, private collection, France) are close in style. One shows a young woman with a pleated cap, apparently a servant, and the other a young man who is probably a servant as well; each is seated at a table with a still life before them.
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- Arabs on the rooftops of Tangier, the Strait of Gibraltar beyond; and Arabs selling goods at the walls of Tangier
- East Texas–Lehigh County
- View of the countryside around the village of Pratieghi, with an artist sketching in the foreground
- Fishermen on the shore
- Arabs drinking coffee and smoking at the Temple of Isis, Philae