- Listed: January 1, 1970 12:00 am
- Title: A Dutch merchantman and a spritsail barge in a breeze
- Artist: Jan Claesz. Rietschoof
- Format (cm): 34.5 x 46 cm.
- Format (in): 13½ x 18 in.
- Last Sale price: 10 000,00
- Last Sale date:
Jan Claesz. Rietschoof (Hoorn 1652-1719) A Dutch merchantman and a spritsail barge in a breeze oil on panel 13½ x 18 in. (34.5 x 46 cm.)
Anonymous sale; P. Brandt, Amsterdam, 15 May 1979, lot 55. Private collection, East Sussex. Anonymous sale; Christie’s, New York, 7 October 1993, lot 139, as ‘Ludolf Backhuysen’.
The choppy seas and billowing clouds in the present work are reminiscent of compositions by the Dutch sea-painter and draughtsman Ludolph Bakhuizen (1630-1708), who was Rietschoof’s teacher. Sabine E. Craft-Giepmans of the RKD, The Hague, has confirmed the attribution to Rietschoof on the basis of photographs (private communication, 6 March 2002).
More ads from this poster
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: admin
- Member Since: June 6, 2015
Other items listed by admin
- The Agony in the Garden
- The banqueting room, Christian VII’s Palace, Amalienborg, Denmark
- Fishing on a Dutch canal
- THREE FRIENDS OF WINTER
- Elegant figures at a reception in a ballroom ( recto ); Preparatory study for the left-hand side of the composition ( verso )